Graduate Admissions

Admission Policy

The admissions review board carefully considers applicants’ academic record, essay, recommendation letters, scores on appropriate standardized tests, and other factors that reflect students’ academic potential and motivation, as well as any additional admissions requirements for the specific program to which the candidates have applied.

In addition to having a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education, graduate applicants must also meet appropriate academic department criteria to be eligible for admission. Students should contact the Admissions Office for more information about specific admissions requirements by program.

Plymouth State University considers graduate applications for most programs on a rolling admission basis. Students may apply at any time of the year and may take up to 12 graduate credits before being officially admitted into a degree program. 

Students applying to a master’s program in athletic training, applied exercise physiology & human performance, or a doctoral program in education or physical therapy must be officially admitted before taking any courses in those programs.

Application Process

Completed graduate applications and a nonrefundable application fee must be submitted to the Admissions Office through the online application at Students applying to the Doctor of Physical Therapy program will need to apply through PT-CAS ( Students applying to the MS in Athletic Training, Professional Program will need to apply through AT-CAS (

Application Requirements

  • Official transcripts verifying that a baccalaureate degree was completed are required. In addition, student's must provide official transcripts from all other college(s) or universities attended. All transcripts must be sent directly from the institutions to the Admissions Office.
  • Official score reports from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) are required for:
    • MS in Applied Meteorology (optional)
    • Doctor of Physical Therapy
  • A statement of interest and intent
  • A professional résumé or curriculum vitae
  • Three recommendations from past or current supervisors, professors, or colleagues
  • New Hampshire Residency Verification Form (NH residents only)
  • CAGS and EdD applicants must also submit a professional writing sample
  • No application fee required for most programs.
    • For students applying to the Athletic Training or Physical Therapy programs, the application fee will be determined and collected through the centralized AT-CAS or PT-CAS application systems 

Admission Interviews

  • School Counseling, School Psychology, and Clinical Mental Health Counseling programs required to participation in a group interview as part of the admissions process. Interviews are scheduled at:
  • EdD and DPT candidates who meet the initial admission requirements will be invited to interview as part of the final application review process.

Certain degrees have additional admissions requirements or program prerequisites. Please visit for further information.

International Students

International students who intend to study in the United States and who do not possess a permanent visa with an Alien Registration number must submit the following documents in addition to the application requirements for the graduate application:

English Language Proficiency

  • TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) – minimum test score of 550 on paper based test; 213 on computer based test; or 80 on Internet based test.
  • IELTS (International English Language Testing System) – minimum test score of 6.5. 

Verification of Finances

  • Documents, including bank statements and other financial records dated within the past 30 days that confirm that you have the financial resources to study for a year at Plymouth State, and/or an I-134 Affidavit of Financial Support form must be submitted to the Admissions Office via Applicants must also complete and have notarized the Plymouth State University International Graduate Student Certification of Finances form. Plymouth State will issue a Certificate of Eligibility (I-20) based upon documented evidence that funds exist to cover your expenses for one academic year. Regulations limit the employment of nonimmigrant international students and their families; therefore, employment cannot be considered as a means of support while you are enrolled at Plymouth State. Visit for links to the forms.
  • Copy of valid passport and visa (if you are a visa holder).
  • Educational documents
  • Official, notarized transcripts translated into English and evaluated for course-by-course equivalencies, and verifying that a baccalaureate, master’s degree, or both were completed.

Admissions Status

Students who have applied to a program may be admitted, admitted pending completion of necessary requirements, or denied admission. Students must meet all requirements associated with their offer of admission in order to be fully matriculated in the specific program to which they are applying. Applicants will receive email notification of their admission status.


All students attending Plymouth State University are charged tuition at a rate to be determined by their domicile or residency. Those living within the state of New Hampshire are charged the in-state rate. Those living elsewhere will pay the out-of-state rate.

Students are classified as residents or non-residents for tuition purposes at the time of admission to the University. The residency decision, made by the Admissions Office, is based on information furnished in the student’s application and other relevant information.

All applicants living in New Hampshire are required to complete an electronic residency form confirming that they have been legally domiciled in New Hampshire continuously for a period of at least 12 months immediately prior to registering for the term for which the student is claiming in-state status. To qualify for in-state status, students must have been legally domiciled in New Hampshire continuously for a period of at least 12 months prior to registering for the semester for which in-state status is claimed.

Students admitted from states other than New Hampshire or from foreign countries are considered non-resident throughout their attendance at the University unless they have acquired bona fide domicile in New Hampshire. The burden of proof in all cases of residence is upon the applicant. The University reserves the right to make the final decision concerning residency status for tuition purposes. Students applying for admission should contact the Admissions Office if they have questions regarding residency. Enrolled students should contact Student Financial Services.

Establishing/Changing Residency

The residency status of graduate students is determined at the time of admission to Plymouth State University, and may be changed only by applying for reclassification. Graduate students who are currently enrolled may obtain further information on residency changes in the Residency section of the Student Financial Services website:

Applications for reclassification for a fall semester are due no later than July 1. Applications for a spring semester are due no later than December 1. Applications for the summer semester are due no later than April 1.

If the student is successful in their application for reclassification, the change will be effective at the beginning of the semester. Reclassifications do not occur mid-semester.

Military Residency Requirements

USNH policy addresses Section 702 of the Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014 (“Choice Act”) regarding military residency requirements in Board of Trustees Financial Policies, subsection E, Classification of Students for Tuition Purposes (Residency Rules):

  • (10.1) A member of the Armed Forces of the United States stationed in this state under military orders shall be entitled to classification for themselves, spouse and dependent children as in-state for tuition purposes so long as the member remains on active duty in this state pursuant to such orders.
  • (10.2) Individuals receiving educational assistance under 38 U.S.C. § 3001 et seq. or 38 U.S.C. § 3301 et seq., including children or spouses of active service members or veterans eligible for educational assistance under 38 U.S.C. § 3311(b)(9) or 38 U.S.C. § 3319, shall be eligible for the in-state rate while living in this state.


All matriculated undergraduate students must be enrolled in at least one credit in each regular semester, spring or fall, or they will be withdrawn from the University. All matriculated graduate students must be enrolled in at least one credit each year.  Graduate students who remain un-enrolled for 12 consecutive months will be withdrawn from the university. Students who have matriculated at Plymouth State University but who have interrupted their enrollment must apply for readmission through the Admissions Office. The application deadline for readmission is the first day of the part of the term the student wishes to resume their studies. Students who have attended another college during their absence from PSU must submit an official college transcript. Undergraduate students returning for winterim or summer session to complete their degree do not need to apply for readmission, instead they should enroll via Continuing Education. Additionally, they must submit a Degree Conferral Application to the registrar.

The catalog to be used to determine degree requirements may be no older than the academic year of official admission. Students who have not been enrolled for one semester or more will return to the university under the degree requirements of the current catalog. Students may petition the Office of Academic Affairs to use the requirements from a previous catalog that is no more than 3 academic years prior to the petition date.

Students may be allowed to use the general education requirements of their original catalog, or a previous catalog if the courses are still offered. The student must meet all general education requirements from one catalog.