Undergraduate Admissions

Admission Policy

Plymouth State University considers applications for both the fall and spring semesters. Deadlines for priority consideration are as follows: completed applications should be received by April 1 for the fall semester (May 1 for transfer students) and December 1 for the spring semester. The Admissions Office administers a rolling admission program, which provides applicants with prompt action on their request for admission. For additional information, please visit plymouth.edu/admissions.

Students new to Plymouth State must attend New Student Orientation to enroll for their first semester. Exceptions to this policy will be made only under extraordinary circumstances by appeal to the Admissions Office. For more information, please visit: plymouth.edu/new-student/orientation/.

To provide reliable assurance of the quality of the educational preparation of its applicants for admission, Plymouth State University supports the efforts of secondary school officials and governing bodies to have their schools achieve regional accreditation status.

Admission Standards

Reading Your Application

There is no single answer to the frequently asked question, “What grades and standardized test scores do I need to be admitted to PSU?” However, most successful applicants have completed at least:

  • four years of English,
  • three years of mathematics,
  • three years of science,
  • three years of social studies, and
  • two years of foreign language.

Most students have taken at least Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II (or an equivalent sequence). Students who do not have this minimum mathematics background, but are otherwise qualified, will need to satisfy the mathematics proficiency requirements within the first 45 credits taken at PSU.

Plymouth State University does not require applicants to submit standardized test scores. The one exception being Plymouth State’s Nursing Program, which requires either the SAT or TEAS exam. For all programs other than nursing, submitted scores are viewed as a voluntary submission of information that an applicant wishes to share with the admissions committee and are not considered to be an academic credential.

While a student’s academic record is most important, consideration is also given for character, leadership, initiative, and special talents. The dean of enrollment possesses the authority to make professional judgment exceptions or changes to the admission policy and standards.

Application Requirements

First Year Students

  • Completed application for PSU (Common Application or PSU Panther Application); visit plymouth.edu/apply for details.
  • An official secondary school transcript and evidence of secondary school graduation or a satisfactory secondary school equivalency certificate (GED). Work of high quality in a program that is well balanced is very important. For more information concerning secondary school preparation, students should refer to the section of this catalog pertaining to the specific academic program.
  • One recommendation (academic).
  • An essay.
  • Joint Services Transcript (JST).

Transfer Students

  • Completed application for PSU (Common Application, PSU Panther Application, or NH Transfer Connection-NH students only); visit plymouth.edu/apply for details.
  • An official secondary school transcript with date of graduation or a satisfactory secondary school equivalency certificate (GED). This is not required if an applicant has received an associate’s degree or higher.
  • Official transcripts of all postsecondary work attempted. A minimum grade point average of 2.00 on a 4.00 scale is required for admission consideration. Credits earned with grades of C and above at regionally accredited degree-granting institutions may be considered for transfer at the time of admission to Plymouth State University. Academic work attempted, but not reported at the time of admission, will not be retroactively transferred after enrollment.
  • An essay.
  • Joint Services Transcript (JST).

International Students

  • Completed application for PSU (Common Application or PSU Panther Application); visit plymouth.edu/apply for details.
  • An official secondary school transcript with date of graduation or a satisfactory secondary school equivalency certification, with English translations if appropriate.
  • Language Proficiency:
    • TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) results with a minimum score of 500, or online score of 61; or
    • IELTS (International English Language Testing System) results with a minimum score of 5.5; or
    • Attainment of level 112 from ELS; or
    • PTE Academic (Pearson Test of English) results with a minimum score of 46.
    • Other evidence of ability to use and understand the English language must be submitted by students from non-English speaking countries.
  • Declaration and Certification of Finances form.
  • Copy of valid passport and visa (if you are a visa holder).
  • For international transfer students entering from a non-American institution, transfer credit must be reviewed and evaluated by the Plymouth State University admissions office.

Home-Schooled Students

  • Completed application for PSU (Common Application or PSU Panther Application); visit plymouth.edu/apply for details.
  • Admission essay.
  • A transcript signed by the parent or guardian that documents the successful completion of a secondary school education. In addition, an outline of academic studies (may include reading lists, course syllabi, writing samples, or work portfolio) may be required.
  • Letter of recommendation from non-family member (e.g., tutor, employer, clergy, civic leader).
  • Satisfactory secondary school equivalency certificate or home school diploma if available.

Advanced Standing

Outstanding secondary school work is recognized by advanced placement and credit for enriched or accelerated courses. Students may qualify for credit by satisfactory achievement on PSU-approved placement exams, including the College Board Advanced Placement (AP) Test, the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), or DSST. See Transferring Credit section for acceptable scores.

The University also recognizes credit earned through the International Baccalaureate (IB). Of the two IB examination levels (Higher Level and Standard Level), the University recognizes the Higher Level examinations where a score of 5, 6, or 7 has been achieved. Credit will not be given for Standard Level examinations. Students who have taken both AP and IB examinations do not receive credit/placement for both.

New Hampshire Transfer Connections Program

The New Hampshire Transfer Connections Program (NHTCP) is designed for students currently enrolled at Granite State College (GSC) or one of the campuses of the Community College System of New Hampshire (CCSNH) to enroll in a bachelor program at Granite State College (GSC), Keene State College (KSC), Plymouth State University (PSU), the University of New Hampshire at Manchester (UNHM), or the University of New Hampshire at Durham (UNH).

Students applying through NHTCP are guaranteed acceptance and housing at PSU if they have completed a minimum of 24 credits and have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or above at GSC or the CCSNH college they are attending. Some PSU programs have additional requirements or required documentation in order to apply to them. A student should check with the Admissions Office to make certain all requirements are fulfilled to be considered for the program. A student currently enrolled at GSC or a CCSNH college who does not meet these criteria is still eligible to apply to PSU via the NHTCP.

Completing the Transfer

In the student’s last semester at GSC or CCSNH, the student must notify the PSU Admissions Office that he/she plans to transfer to PSU. The regular transfer application deadline applies to NHTCP students, but there is a special form that will greatly facilitate their transfer. Copies of this form are available from the GSC or CCSNH transfer advisor.

Successful completion of the NHTCP guarantees on-campus housing at PSU. Visit NHtransfer.org for further details.

Transfer Agreements

Agreements that facilitate the transfer of credit between Plymouth State University and the institutions of the Community College System of New Hampshire exist for specific bachelor programs (see Transferring Credits section). The AA in Liberal Arts at the Community Colleges satisfies the lower-division general education requirements at PSU. Please visit nhtransfer.org for further details. For current information, please contact the transfer and articulation specialist in the Admissions Office.

Preliminary Mathematics Requirement for Students Admitted with Mathematics Deficiency

Students admitted to PSU without high school credit for Algebra I, Algebra II, and Geometry (or equivalent experiences) will be required to remedy that deficiency within the first 45 credits attempted. To remedy a mathematics deficiency, the student must successfully complete one of the following:

  • Elementary Algebra (MA 1200) , or
  • Level Two on the Mathematics Placement Assessment

Students who have not completed the preliminary mathematics requirement must continually enroll in courses that lead to the completion of this requirement until the requirement has been met.

Students admitted with mathematics deficiency and who fail to complete the preliminary mathematics requirement within the first 45 credits attempted will not be allowed to continue as matriculated students. These students will be allowed to take courses as part-time, non-matriculated continuing education students, and will be eligible to apply for readmission as matriculated students once they have fulfilled the preliminary mathematics requirement.

Elementary Algebra (MA 1200) does not satisfy Mathematics Foundations or any General Education requirement.


All students attending Plymouth State University are charged tuition at a rate to be determined by their domicile or residency. Those living within the state of New Hampshire are charged the in-state rate. Those living elsewhere will pay the out-of-state rate.

Students are classified as residents or non-residents for tuition purposes at the time of admission to the University. The residency decision, made by the Admissions Office, is based on information furnished in the student’s application and other relevant information.

All applicants living in New Hampshire are required to complete an electronic residency form confirming that they (if financially independent) or their parents (if financially dependent) have been legally domiciled in New Hampshire continuously for a period of at least 12 months immediately prior to registering for the term for which the student is claiming in-state status. If students maintain residency apart from that of their parents, they must clearly establish that they are financially independent and that their residence in New Hampshire is for some purpose other than the temporary one of obtaining an education at the University. To qualify for in-state status, independent students must have been legally domiciled in New Hampshire continuously for a period of at least 12 months prior to registering for the semester for which in-state status is claimed.

Students admitted from states other than New Hampshire or from foreign countries are considered non-resident throughout their attendance at the University unless they have acquired bona fide domicile in New Hampshire. The burden of proof in all cases of residence is upon the applicant. The University reserves the right to make the final decision concerning residency status for tuition purposes. Students applying for admission should contact the Admissions Office if they have questions regarding residency. Enrolled students should contact the Office of the Registrar.

Establishing/Changing Residency

The residency status of undergraduate students is determined at the time of admission to Plymouth State University, and may be changed only by applying for reclassification. Undergraduate students who are currently enrolled may obtain further information on residency changes in the Residency section of the registrar’s website: campus.plymouth.edu/registrar/catalog-academic-policies-and-programs/#ResidencyInformation.

Applications for reclassification for a fall semester are due no later than July 1. Applications for a spring semester are due no later than December 1. Applications for summer semester are due no later than April 1.

If the student is successful in his or her application for reclassification, the change will be effective at t id-semester.

Military Residency Requirements

USNH policy addresses Section 702 of the Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014 (“Choice Act”) regarding military residency requirements in Board of Trustees Financial Policies, subsection E, Classification of Students for Tuition Purposes (Residency Rules):

  • (10.1) A member of the Armed Forces of the United States stationed in this state under military orders shall be entitled to classification for himself/herself, spouse and dependent children as in-state for tuition purposes so long as the member remains on active duty in this state pursuant to such orders.
  • (10.2) Individuals receiving educational assistance under 38 U.S.C. § 3001 et seq. or 38 U.S.C. § 3301 et seq., including children or spouses of active service members or veterans eligible for educational assistance under 38 U.S.C. § 3311(b)(9) or 38 U.S.C. § 3319, shall be eligible for the in-state rate while living in this state.

New England Regional Student Program

Plymouth State University participates in a regional cooperative program administered by the New England Board of Higher Education. The Regional Student Program enables residents of New England to attend an out-of-state public college or university within New England at reduced tuition for certain degree programs that are not available within their own state’s institutions and have been designated by PSU. To be eligible for the program, students must have declared an eligible major before the beginning of the semester in which they want New England Board of Higher Education status. There are no exceptions to this deadline.

Eligible PSU programs and states include:

  • BS Adventure Education for Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island;
  • BFA Graphic Design for Maine, Rhode Island;
  • BS Health Education and Promotion for Vermont;
  • BS Health Education and Promotion, former Health Promotion Option for Vermont;
  • BS Health Education and Promotion, former School Health (K–12) Option for Vermont;
  • BS Management: Option in Small Business and Entrepreneurship for Connecticut, Rhode Island;
  • BS Meteorology (Forecasting) for Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont;
  • BA Music, Music Technology Option, for Connecticut, Rhode Island, Maine;
  • BS Public Management for Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts;
  • BA Theatre Arts, Music Theatre Performance for Massachusetts;
  • BA Tourism Management and Policy for Connecticut, Rhode Island.

Plymouth State University evaluates the amount of the tuition reduction prior to the start of each academic year. Increases (to the amount tuition is reduced by) only affect new students and are not retroactively applied to current or returning Plymouth State University students.

The purpose of the program is to expand opportunities in higher education for New England residents by making available on an equal basis courses not commonly offered at every institution. This tends to reduce duplication of courses among institutions and to utilize more efficiently the higher education facilities of each state. Each summer, the New England Board of Higher Education evaluates new and existing programs for eligibility. The most accurate information about this program may be obtained through the PSU Admissions Office, any high school guidance counselor, or the

New England Board of Higher Education
45 Temple Place
Boston MA 02111
(617) 357-9620


Students who have matriculated at Plymouth State University but who have interrupted their enrollment must apply for readmission through the Admissions Office. Regular application deadlines apply to readmission applicants. Students who have attended another college during their absence from PSU must submit an official college transcript. Students returning for early spring or summer session to complete their degree do not need to apply for readmission but must submit a Graduation Application to the registrar.